This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.




In 2015 Health professionals and others with an interest in Health and Care issues were invited to join a Forum for Seaton and the surrounding parishes.

Meetings of the Forum have been held at Seaton and District Hospital since 2015 and members are very keen to encourage others to join, especially in order to represent patients and the public and in particular younger members of the community.

The Forum is one of five in the East Devon area, the others being Axminster, Honiton, Ottery St. Mary and Sidmouth and this provides a route for taking more general issues forward.

With recent changes in health services it is even more important that local people have their say.

Anyone with an interest in Health and Care matters or belonging to a group that they feel should be represented on the Forum can contact Tina Trapani who chairs the Forum by phoning 01297 21788 or by emailing

Non-NHS Services

Medical examinations for HGV and PSV licenses, and any medical for pre-employment purposes are not paid for by the NHS, and the Doctors are entitled to charge the normal British Medical Assosiation fee. Some insurance forms such as certificates for elderly drivers insurance appear deceptively simple but often need a full medical examination for their completion.

Examinations of this nature take time, and it is sensible to tell the Receptionist the purpose of the visit to the Doctors so that they can book an appropriate amount of time. The normal BMA rate will be charged, which should be paid at the time of examination. Examinations for Life Insurance purposes also need special appointments, but in this case the fee is usually payable by the Life Insurance company concerned. A list of all fees that the Doctors are entitled to charge is displayed in Reception and the waiting room.


The number of forms Doctors are being asked to complete is growing rapidly. In some cases someone other than the Doctor can sign the form for you, so please check beforehand. 

Private Medical Insurance claim forms can be signed by your Doctor or by your Specialist. Certificates for school should be signed by a parent. Certificates for sickness for periods of less than a week should usually be signed by the sick person themselves using form SC1 available at reception. A medical certificate is not normally required. Holiday cancellation insurance does not need a Doctor's letter, it will need an official claim form obtainable from your insurers. Most of these forms have a medical section which can be completed by your Doctor. 

The vast majority of these forms are not covered by Doctors terms of service, and they may be entitled to charge a fee. Please ask at reception if you are unsure. We also ask if forms can be given to the surgery some days in advance of when they are needed to give us time to process them. 

Click here for our patient information leaflet “Understanding Fee’s”


Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website